PA Car Accident Law
Pennsylvania Personal Injury Lawyers
Case Review(800) 818-8148

Uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist

UIM insuranceWhy do I need UM and UIM insurance?

Uninsured motorist (UM) coverage protects you if you are injured in a car accident and the driver who caused the accident does not have auto liability insurance. You can also purchase Underinsured motor (UIM) coverage which will protect you if you are injured in an accident and the driver responsible does not have enough insurance to totally compensate you for your injuries.

Here in Pennsylvania, our state law requires a driver to carry only $15,000 worth of liability insurance. So, if someone carrying only the minimum $15,000 in liability insurance injures you, your Underinsurance (UIM) coverage would offer protection if your pain and suffering would have a value of more than $15,000.

As a Pennsylvania driver both UM and UIM coverage is optional. Because of financial restraints or lack of education about insurance (and yes, it’s very complex) people may opt not to buy UM or UIM coverage. Before opting not to buy, ask your insurance agent what the price difference is before you agree to give up this important protection. UM and UIM coverage is one of the cheapest, but one of the most important coverages you can carry on your insurance policy.

The other driver was at fault and uninsured. What can I do?

If the other driver was at fault and not insured, you may still be able to recover money for your pain and suffering. If the car you drove or any car owned by a relative who resides with you was insured, there may be a benefit available to you under any such insurance policies. In Pennsylvania, many insured drivers have a benefit known as uninsured motorist coverage, also referred to as UM. This coverage can be a good source of recovery for people injured by an uninsured driver.

You should contact Ostroff Injury Law to learn more about UM coverage.